What is Prader-Willi Syndrome?
Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS) is a condition that can cause a wide range of problems that will affect your child’s physical, psychological and behavioural development.
What are the symptoms of Prader-Willi?
- The child is floppy (hypertonia)
- This means they have difficulty in controlling their head.
- They have difficulty in sucking because of their floppiness
- They have more range in their joints (hypermobile) and can dislocated their shoulder if they are picked up under their arm.
- They have difficulty with vision (short sighted or long sighted or they have squint.)
- They have developmental delay.
- They are delayed in visual processing and auditory processing, this means they have difficulty in learning and can show behavioural problems.
- They bruise easily.
- They have difficulty in feeling pain
- They have behaviour problems one reason is because they always feel hungry.
How can Birkdale Neuro Rehab Centre help with Prader-Willi Syndrome?
- We work on sensory skills ie eye movements to help learning.
- Encourage learning through play with sound
- Encourage learning balance through sitting on the air cushion
- Encourage making sounds through body movements.